Sunday, March 18, 2007

Reading Questions

Laurie asked me some good questions about what I read, so I thought I would respond in my blog.

When I go to the library or bookstore, I come home with waaayy more non-fiction (except when I'm getting children's books - then it's 50-50). When I go into a bookstore, the first place I head is the "New in Non-Fiction" section. Within the non-fiction, I lean towards getting something historical whether it's religion, economics, politics, etc.

The problem with juvenile literature is that as soon as I pick it up for me, I begin thinking how I might use it in the classroom. The choices available to kids today is astounding! If they don't want to read about dead/dying animals, they do not have to. There's plenty of other books from which to choose.

I tend not to read magazines. If I'm in a waiting area, I'll read Time or Newsweek. I refuse to read magazines like People. With the internet, I do read a lot of newspapers on line. I love to read about a story in an American paper and then find the same story in an international paper. It gives a different perspective.

Lastly, I should say that I spend too much at bookstores and do not always take advantage of the local library (and we really have a great local library). I guess I buy books because of all the books I had to get rid of every time we moved.

The important thing is to Keep reading!

No comments: