Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hidden in the Words

I am preparing lesson plans for a unit on Memoirs. The school is in the process of adopting a new writing program, and we decided to try one of the units now to get our feet wet for next year. In the Memoirs Unit chosen by my team, teachers and students are expected to look at Life Topics - the underlying themes that run through our writing. According to the text, most people may write about a variety of topics, but they only have 3 - 4 themes that lie hidden.

It takes some deep digging to ferret out those themes and bring them up for closer inspection. I've been thinking about that the last few days as I've mapped out my expectations for my students. What do we reveal about ourselves with our words?

I know that my writing tends to be about my family/genealogy. But, I like to think that all of my writing is more a reflection for the purpose of learning and moving forward. It will be interesting to think about in the next two months as I travel this path with my students.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

My writing tends to be about... me.

Laurie said...

Hey! Hidden in the words of Gertrude's, I read that it's located where the Pampered Palate used to be!!! I WORKED THERE!!! I wonder if Robert knows where Stacy (owner/chef of PP) is now. We are headed to Pueblo today, and are planning dinner with my parents. If we don't get in to the Juniper Valley Ranch, I'm going to do Gertrude's! I am so excited! xoxox