Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Raining Books (not Cats and Dogs)

Not only was it another glorious, sun-drenched day, I was given $500 to go shopping for classroom library books! Yahooooooooooo! Hopefully everyone I cut off along the highway received my telepathic apology. It would have been better, however, had they received the telepathic message to get out of my way as I was on a biblio-driven mission.

I love to read - love language and words. I love to picture the words and watch them take shape into scenes. Laurie (aka Dandy Walker) and I have discussed some of our favorite books. Truly, there are too many to list. But, here are some of the ones that had an impact on how I think about books and reading.
  • Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls) - I read this in 5th grade and was horrified by the ending. How could those innocent dogs have been killed (forget about the guy with the axe in his chest)? It made me realize that every "classic" book my teachers gave me to read had some poor animal croaking (pun intended).
  • Charlotte's Web (E. B. White) - I'm probably the only person who abhors this book (see above). My belief: if you can make up a story where a spider talks, said spider can defy nature and live to be older than Methusalah.
  • The Godfather (Mario Puzo) - Tired of the same old, I read this in 6th grade (taking it from my mother's night table when she was otherwise occupied). At the time I couldn't pinpoint what it was that I liked about it. I didn't understand any of the parts about sex although I completely understood the part of killing (see above.) Mostly I loved the telling of the family's story minus the horse in the bed.
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek (Laura Ingalls Wilder) - One of my friends in 7th grade pointed out that the teacher was not going to accept a book report on The Godfather or its ilk. She suggested this book as a quick easy read. I was entranced. This book helped me to identify what types of books I enjoyed reading - historical fiction and non-fiction. Family sagas and the unfolding of their lives was a fascination, a peek into others' lives.

More later. Until then, Keep Reading!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

When you go to the library, do you come home with more fiction, or nonfiction? How much juvenile literature do you read without a classroom intention? Do you read magazines? (I was a magazine whore before there were blogs.) When I go to the library, I usually bring home about 5-6 magazines, the latest title for my book club, 1 or 2 featured nonfiction, and MAYBE a fiction piece. I would rather read old favorites again than take a risk- good thing I have the book club, or I would never have anything new to talk about. xoxox