Sunday, March 18, 2007

Raining Books - Part II

Here are a few more books that had an impact on how I think about my reading. I picked up the following for a good cheesy scare and instead developed a deep, life-long respect for these authors. No movie has come close to capturing the ideas because they tend to focus on the superficial horror while ignoring the underlying meaning.
  • Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson) - This book may be about an exaggerated character, but it forced me to think about my own actions in life. I also found myself becoming more understanding of the complexities of people. Perhaps now, I am more forgiving of their mistakes and joyous of their accomplishments.
  • Dracula (Bram Stoker) - It seemed to me that this book challenged the Victorian/English precepts of the time. Women: In the novel the men are constantly telling the women to stay home and cower while they go off. However, in the end it's a woman who saves their frightened asses! Good/Evil: Characters spout off about what is evil, but they themselves have no problem bending the rules when it suits their purpose. Religion: The men (again!) make comments as to how God is on their side and they will prevail, making fun of local customs. No sooner do they land in a village outside the castle, then they are wearing garlic and making the sign of the evil eye.
  • Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus (Mary Shelley) - What a commentary on modern man!! It didn't take long for me to realize that the Dr. was a jerk. Duh! The title is about the doctor not his creation. In this time of cloning, we must remember that her story was not about the what we create. It is about who we are and what we become in the process.

I know most people expect something different when they pick these books up and so they put them down. I guarantee they are worth the read.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Sorry to say that I could not abide the language long enough to get involved in either the plots or the characters, and was therefore unable to read enough to get all deep and philosophical about it. I mean, it is POSSIBLE for me to get deep and philosophical. And I can sustain with, say, Shakespeare long enough to keep pace with the language. It's just... Frankenstein? Yikes. That long, icy trek with the skid?

Laurie said...

Oh, and another thing: "frightened asses."
You know how much I love that.