Friday, July 13, 2007

Bus Rides and Crows

Dandy Girl recently had her first bus ride, and it reminded me of the infamous bus ride story in my own family.

My sister sister announced at the dinner table that she and my brother wanted to walk to the bus stop alone. “No.” My sister pointed out that I got to walk to my bus stop alone. "No." My sister begged. My mother saw that this was going to go on all night so she agreed with a sigh . . . and some warnings. “No going off with strangers, stay on the sidewalk, pay attention, . . .”

Of course, my mother had no intention of letting them go by themselves. Breakfast the next morning was eaten excitedly as my brother and sister anticipated their certain independence. My mother said goodbye to them and closed the door, letting them begin their march towards the bus stop. Only moments later the door reopened and my mother set off after them keeping a safe distance.

True to their word, the pair of them headed straight for the bus stop and made no detours, talked with no strangers, and stayed on the sidewalk. Arriving early, they stood talking and were oblivious to the fact that my mother stood only a few feet away listening to their conversation.

“Look at those birds.” My brother was pointing to a line of crows that were perched on a telephone wire.

My sister looked upset, “You know what those are. Those are mom’s birds.” My brother looked puzzled. “You know. Mom always says, ‘a little bird told me’. Those are mom’s birds spying on us.” Picture them throwing rocks towards a telephone line. You can guess that not one throw came even close.


Other kids began arriving, so they stopped with the rocks. Soon after that, the bus came and they boarded. My mom went home satisfied that they were okay. When the two of them got back home, my mom asked them about their day. They told her that they had done exactly as she told them and had no problems catching the bus.

“Yes, I know you did what I said. My little birds told me,” my mother said with a smile. Then her voice became just a little more stern. “But they asked that you not throw rocks at them. It only makes them mad.” The pair of them stood shocked. The birds had told on them! They promised to never try to hurt her birds again.

I had to explain that one to them later.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

HOW do you remember all these details? How can you have had so many perfect-for-fiction childhood stories? I only wish I had HEARD you tell this one rather than reading it. But I will, I will.