Sunday, April 29, 2007

Listen to Me

My teammate has asked to blog more often. But, since working on the memoir unit with my students, I haven't had any extra time to write here. Of course she suggested including my memoir pieces, so here's one:




Listen to the Mustn’ts
by Shel Silverstein


Listen to the MUSTN’TS, child,
Listen to the DON’TS
Listen to the SHOULDN’TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON’TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me –
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.


I was reading this poem by Shel Silverstein, and it made me think. There are always times when you SHOULDN’T or MUSTN’T. It’s important to follow the rules in order to stay safe and learn. But has someone ever used the words IMPOSSIBLE or WON’T. That happened to me.
When I was a junior in high school, I started doing research on colleges. Excitement bubbled at the possibility of being on my own, choosing my own goals and classes. Hours were spent examining the pages of catalogues. I looked at the brick buildings, the pictures of students walking on campus to their classes, and I imagined me in those pictures.

“What’s that you’re looking at?” the voice of my guidance counselor came from behind me.

“Princeton,” I replied. “They have a very good program for pre-law students, and that’s what I want to do.”

“Princeton? You have to have really top grades and money.”

I was surprised at how easily she dismissed my idea. “Well, I do have good grades and I’ll try for a scholarship. It can’t hurt to try. I plan on also trying for the University of Denver and Marquette University.”

My guidance counselor continued to argue with me. “Those are all tough schools. What about Pikes Peak Community College? Then if you like it, you can change to another school.”
Even now I wonder, did she really know me so little? I had talked with her for three years of high school. I thought she understood what I wanted in life. Was she afraid I might fail and lose confidence? I had shown I was not afraid to give up on anybody including myself. Was she not looking? Not listening?

“No,” I continued, “I want to go to a regular university and become a lawyer or even a political analyst. Going to a community college won’t help.”

She threw out a new idea. “What about the army?”

“Well, that’s really not me, but I guess I could take time to look up West Point.”

“No, that’s not what I mean.”

“You think I should just go straight to Officer Candidate School?”

“No, I don’t mean that either.”

It took me a second before I figured out what she was trying to say. She didn’t think I could get into any of those schools. She thought I should just take a class or two or join the army. I first I was deflated. My own guidance counselor doesn’t think I’ll make it despite good grades and determination. Then I felt anger. How dare she try to stomp on my dreams! I stormed out of there more determined than ever. In fact, I was determined to prove her wrong more than determined to get into college.

I guess looking back, it would be easy to say to point fingers and lay blame. What would be the point? She’s no longer a counselor, and I’m no longer a young kid. Just a deep, terrible sadness hangs around my heart, squeezing it tightly. Was there some kid at my high school who lacked confidence, who just needed a push in the right direction? Who knows where they might have gone had they just had someone to believe in them.

Now I’m a teacher, and I can whisper to you. Listen to me, students. Anything can be, can happen. Anything is possible.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I really canNOT imagine anyone suggesting that you join the Army. The rest of it is also inconceivable, and yes, sad, annoying, infuriating. You are a DREAM of a teacher- and I SHUDDER to think what it might have been like to face you in a courtroom. Yikes. xoxox

jac said...

Oh God ! I am reading with a smile because I am teacher.

Nice writing, I stumbled in from geets, just out of the curious name and I am not sorry.